Words to Inspire


"I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health."
- Voltaire

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Superset Workouts

Supersetting is a method of training where you do two exercises, one after the other, with no rest in between. There are three main types of supersets:

1. Same Muscle Group - most common type of supersetting that combines two exercises from the same muscle group. Most effective for muscle cutting and definition.

ex: tricep kickback with military push-up

    2. Antagonistic - pairing opposing muscle groups back to back. Most effective method for building     muscle mass.

ex: bicep cable curls with tricep push-downs 

3. Staggered Sets - combing major muscle groups with minor muscle groups that are not related. Most effective for building muscle in less time.

ex: chest press with calf raises 

Supersetting is a great way to save time, increase intensity, and create your own work outs easily.

One of my favorite superset workouts is my Bis and Tris workout so I thought I'd share it.

Bicep & Triceps Superset Workout

warm-up
2x30 dumbbell curl
2x30 cable-bar pushdown
(light weight)

superset 1
3x15 stranding bicep cable-curl
3x15 preacher curl

superset 2
3x15 rope tricep pushdown
3x15 skull crushers

superset 3
3x15 hammer curls
3x15 lateral bicep curls

superset 4
3x15 tricep kickbacks
3x15 overhead tricep extension 

stretch to cool down


2 comments:

  1. My sister and I did this the other day and we were sore for two days! Love it!! Thanks Claire- great blog! I will link you up in my next post on our blog In Her Twenties.

    xo
    Katie Haviland

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear! And thanks so much, that would e greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete