Words to Inspire


"I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health."
- Voltaire

Monday, May 21, 2012

Quick Snack

On Saturday I went over to Huntsville to go grocery shopping at Earthfare - I adore that place. I left right after I took a spin class so I knew I'd be hungry right after my class and also on the ride over so I threw together a quick snack as I was headed out the door. Had I not packed this little snack to hold me over it's very likely I'd have snuck endless pieces of candy out of the bins at Earthfare when no one was looking.





I mixed together a big handful of cherries and 10 almonds.

Cherries are known as a “super-fruit” and are packed with antioxidants called anthocyanins which aid in the reduction of heart disease and cancer. Cherries are one of the few food sources that contain melatonin, an antioxidant that helps regulate heart rhythms and the body’s sleep cycles. Cherries are an excellent source of beta carotene. They contain 19 times more beta carotene than blueberries and strawberries. Cherries are rich in vitamins C, E, potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and fiber. Cherries are referred to as “brain food”, aiding in brain health and in the prevention of memory loss. Because of their powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, cherries are said to reduce pain and joint soreness for runners and athletes after workouts.

Almonds are rich in manganese, riboflavin, and copper, all of which aid in energy production. The fiber in almonds has a detoxifying effect that allows food to move through the digestive system more efficiently, cleansing the system and preventing colon cancer. Almonds are high in protein, around 18 percent, and contain literally no carbohydrates, they are ideal for diabetics, pre-diabetics or anyone with blood sugar issues.


Sounds like a bag full of wonderful, huh?


XOXO,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment