Words to Inspire


"I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health."
- Voltaire

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How to Eat Your Vegetables

Happy middle of the week! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday!



Everyone has grown up hearing Eat your vegetables! whether it came from Mom, Dad, or Grandma.
Those who chose to listen were rewarded with praise or even dessert.


Growing up I can remember loading my sweet potato with butter and brown sugar until it turned in to a Thanksgiving Day side and dipping my broccoli and carrots into pools of ranch dressing. So clearly eating my vegetables was not a difficult task.


Nowadays, things are a little different when it comes to me eating my vegetables. I have never been a picky eater (which I can credit to my lack of health before and my passion for health now) it just took me a little while to actually learn how to eat. You see, sweet potatoes are amazing exactly how they are - they don't need all the extras! And broccoli and carrots taste waaay better with hummus!


I can't tell you how many times I'll see someone thinking they are being healthy by eating their vegetables only to completely negate their good intentions with all the unnecessary condiments! So next time you do your body some good by eating your vegetables remember how to eat them.

  • Salads should be loaded with colorful veggies and lightly tossed in a serving of vinaigrette dressing.
  • Vegetables should be steamed or cooked until just tender - once they lose their color they also lose all of their healthy benefits.
  • Instead of frying try baking, roasting, or sautéing.
  • Dip raw veggies in a serving or hummus or plain greek yogurt mixed with a packet of seasoning.
  • Ween yourself off all the extras when it comes to potatoes by gradually adding less and less so you can learn to enjoy them in pure form. 

While it might take some time, eventually you'll be able to eat raw veggies on their own and actually enjoy them! Make it a challenge to start eating your vegetables healthier so you can actually reap all of their wonderful benefits! 


Do the body some good today.
XOXO,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment