Words to Inspire


"I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health."
- Voltaire

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Buckwheat Breakfasts and Popover Success

Hope everyone has had a great Monday!

Nothing like starting the week off with some shopping! Am I right?

(Except when you get nauseous in Old Time Pottery and almost puke in a reusable shopping bag.)

Yeah, in that case, I might be wrong. Moving on...

Today, Mom and I headed on over to Huntsville to check off the rest of things on my ToDo list before moving off to school (in only ten days - HOLY CRAP) and for my Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store. I'm proud to say that I am now slightly less Macbook incompetent. Go me!

Some highlights of this glorious Monday would include...

1. My face is almost back to normal - yay for no more chipmunk cheeks!
2. Had my first experience with buckwheat and come to find out...it's awesome.
3. I achieved popover success. 

Sorry to say I will not be providing a picture of my almost-back-normal-but-not-quite-yet face so continuing on with the highlight list is the only thing prompting me to wake up as early as I did this morning and that would be my lovely breakfast.

I was more than eager to try buckwheat after reading about them here. However, even though I've had the opportunity to test them out for a few weeks now, I have neglected to do so due to my inability to stray from my bar none favorite breakfast (Greek yogurt parfait) until I became unable to chew the granola portion of my parfait which led me to trying this...

Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl
Ingredients
- 1/4 cup dry buckwheat
- 1/2 cup milk (almond, soy, skim, etc...)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Add Ins
- other 1/2 sliced banana 
 - spoonful o' almond butter
Directions
Mix all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add desired toppings and enjoy immediately or place in a serving bowl, cover, and let sit in refrigerator overnight for a thicker consistency and simply reheat in the morning before chowing down.

Definitely recommend you try swapping your usez morning meal for a bowl of these delicious little babies. Prom prom you won't be disappointed!

Concluding my Monday highlight reel is popover success. Yes. Popover success! 

I fell asleep yesterday with the TV on and when I woke up Guy Fieri was tasting something that looked beyond incredible so I quickly turned up the volume to discover that the identity of the crazy good looking treat was a popover. As Guy was nommin' away on the popover he mentioned that all it needed was some tomato soup and that was fate ladies and gentlemen because guess what was on last night's dinner menu? Yup - tomato soup! So I decided all my tomato soup needed was some popovers. 


While last night's popovers (pictured above) were super tasty, and I mean suuuper tasty, they weren't really popovers. They were more like cheesy herbed muffins. 

A popover is a light, hollow roll made from an egg batter similar to that of a Yorkshire pudding and typically baked in a muffin tin.

Yeah these suckers were heavy, dense rolls.

Even though I was perfectly happy with the flavor of these "popovers", I still wasn't completely satisfied with the rest of it so I had to give them another go.

While in Huntsville, I stopped by the Le Gourmet Chef and picked up a popover pan. Therefore, tonight's dinner was a repeat of yesterday and I was ecstatic with the turn out!


Check out the height on these guys! I wish I'd have taken a snapshot of them cooking away in the oven because they were GINORMOUS! Just a poppin' over everywhere!



I must say, my popovers and Amy's Kitchen Chunky Tomato Soup were the perfect compliments to each other.


Don't worry those of you who might be interested in my cheesy herb popover recipe - I'll be posting it soon. But for now I need to catch up on my Z's. Night y'all!

XOXO,
Claire 

No comments:

Post a Comment