Words to Inspire


"I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health."
- Voltaire

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Southwest Salad

I think I might have discovered my new favorite salad. For so long it's been a close tie between a Greek salad and a seared Ahi tuna salad. Both so delicious - but this southwest salad definitely gives them a run for their money.

The other day I was browsing through the spice cabinet and I came across a southwest seasoning hidden in the back which reminded me of a salad I had earlier in the week while eating out with my mom so I decided to make my own version of it.

This salad provides monounsaturated fats from the avocado that decrease levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and improve blood flow which helps prevent stroke, protein and fiber from the beans to keep you full, and great flavor!

Southwest Salad
Ingredients
- 2 handfuls spring mix
- 1/2 lavish read wrap
- 4 oz protein (I used salmon)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1/4 c low sodium black beans
- 1/4 c corn
- 3 Tbsp salsa
- EVOO
- southwest seasoning

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Cut lavish bread into strips and toss with 1/2 tsp EVOO and 1/4 tsp seasoning and then place on a sheet pan and bake for 5-10 minutes or until crispy. Season protein with 1 tsp of southwest seasoning and cook using desired method. Toss all ingredients together and enjoy!

XOXO,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment