Words to Inspire


"I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health."
- Voltaire

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Black Bean-Sweet Potato-Kale Fiesta

I cannot tell you how overwhelmed I get when people give my family fresh produce. 
Dad brings bags full of squash and zucchini home from work and family friends leave boxes of cucumbers, green beans, and peppers on the front porch.
 Don't get me wrong, I love having fresh, local produce. 
But I HATE seeing food go bad before I can get my hands on it.
So tomorrow my kitchen will be turned into a bakery. Zucchini bread and muffins galore. If anyone is interested in some please just let me know and I will send it your way.

Back to the main subject of this post...   
I make some pretty mean black bean sweet potato enchiladas and that's what the flavors of my lunch reminded me of today. The only difference is I threw in a few ingredients and took a few out so I could make use of the mountain of gifted veggies in our kitchen.

Black Bean-Sweet Potato-Kale Fiesta

Before

After

Ingredients
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 c black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 handfuls kale, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c red onion, chopped (I really like onions)
- 1 small squash, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 banana pepper, chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 c loosely packed cilantro 
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 3/4 t cumin
- 1/2 t curry powder
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 t extra virgin olive oil

Directions
Place paper towel over bowl of cubed sweet potato and microwave for 4 minutes. Heat oil over medium heat in a decent sized sauce pan. Add garlic and heat until fragrant then add onions and cook until slightly tender. Next, add squash, pepper, and tomatoes. Let cook for ~2 minutes and then toss in black beans, kale, and lemon juice. Cover and let kale steam for ~1 minute before adding sweet potato and spices. Give it a quick stir and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!

XOXO,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment